Search Site


Now that you understand what basic coverages are available, let’s talk about how they can protect yourself and your loved ones.

  • Decide on the level of liability coverage you want to carry to protect you should you be the at-fault driver. In the event of a serious accident, you want enough insurance to cover a judgment against you in a lawsuit, without jeopardizing your personal assets.  Depending on your insurance carrier, you can move up the line from the statutory minimum limits to 50/100, 100/300, 250/500 and even more.  We suggest that the minimum you should carry is 100/300/100.  This will provide $100,000 bodily injury or death per person / $300,000 bodily injury or death per accident / $100,000 property damage of others in any one accident.
  • Decide on the level of medical payments coverage you want to carry. Medical payments coverage comes in especially handy if you have high deductibles or co-pays on your health insurance.  The most common amounts are $1,000, $2,000 and $5,000, although higher coverage is available.  For most people, medical payments coverage of $5,000 is sufficient.  One important factor to keep in mind with regard to medical payments coverage is that it covers you and everyone in your covered vehicle – regardless of whether you are at-fault or if the other driver is at-fault.
  • Decide on the level of UM/UIM coverage you need to carry to protect you and your loved ones. At a minimum, you will want your UM/UIM to match your liability coverage (keeping in mind that you cannot have UIM if you only carry minimum liability limits).  While in a perfect world there are no uninsured motorists, you need to be protected from the reality of the situation.  Factors to consider are the high cost of medical bills, time out of work, and what it would take to fairly and adequately compensate you if you are severely hurt in a wreck that is someone else’s fault.  Your UIM will pick up after the at-fault driver’s carrier offers to pay its limits.
  • Here’s an example: The at-fault driver has 30/60 and you have 100/300, but your loss is worth more than $100,000.  The first $30,000 would come from the at-fault driver’s liability coverage.  The next $70,000 would come from your UIM coverage.  This would result in a total payment to you of $100,000.  Obviously, if your UM/UIM is more than 100/300, the compensation to you would change.
  • It is easy to have high medical bills if you have to spend any time in a hospital and have surgery. Add to those bills the amount of your lost wages as you miss time from work.  You may need to review your coverage with your insurance agent and decide that you need more than 100/300 in UM/UIM.

There are some other types of coverage (towing, roadside assistance, rental, etc.) that you can get with your automobile insurance, but understanding the basic types of insurance will go a long way toward helping you make an informed decision when you purchase coverage.


If you’ve been injured in a wreck, it is to your advantage to call the personal injury attorneys who understand insurance, and get advice.  Call or email us today.

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Our Office
  • Durham Office
    P.O. Box 51182
    Durham, North Carolina 27717
    Phone: 919-251-8197
    Fax: 855-808-4049

Membership in the Million and Multi-million Dollar Advocates Forum is limited to lawyers who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements and includes fewer than one percent of attorneys in the United States. Since each case and client is unique, results in past cases do not guarantee results in future cases. For more information about the standards for inclusion in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, see